Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This soup is SO GOOD! It was a perfect soup night last night. I found this recipe in the Essential Mormon Celebrations cookbook that my Aunt Liz gave me. It has so many wonderful recipes in it! They call this one Chicken Taco Soup, but I know this kind of soup as Chicken Tortilla. I also made the Cilantro Lime Dressing which was awesome, it had a thick texture and tasted great with the soup and as a dip for chips. (I halved this recipe & Matt had seconds with plenty leftover for lunch or dinner for the two of us)
Chicken Tortilla Soup


6 cups water 
6 chicken bouillon cubes (could sub chicken stock)
4 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 or 2 tablespoons chili powder (I used one and it was perfect for me - but I like things on the mild side)
1 (29 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup rice
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, undrained
Corn tortilla chips
Cheese, grated
Cilantro, chopped
Sour cream
2 limes, quartered


In a large pot, bring water to a boil; dissolve bouillon cubes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cubed chicken, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, sugar, rice, and garbanzo beans. Simmer for about 1 hour. When ready to serve, add remaining ingredients as toppings to individual servings. Makes about 8 servings.


Cilantro Lime Dressing


1 (1 oz) packet Ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
1 cup sour cream
1 (3 in.) jalapeno pepper, cut and seeded
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (I put more because I LOVE cilantro)
Juice of 1 lime


Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor & enjoy! 

1 comment:

Lori Thompson said...

the lime makes the entire dish! YUMMY! You made my mouth water, really you did!!

All images & content on this site © Kara Miller 2008-2013 unless otherwise noted. Do not use any content without permission or giving credit. Thank you!