Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Notes About Santa Cruz III

Every night, around 9 PM, there is a silly horn outside of our back patio. It's like a little song, doo-doo-doo-doo-doo (can you hear it?). I have no idea who does it, or where it is coming from! Tonight, I walked out and turned on the light and looked around. Nothing. When I went back inside, the horn went three more times. I'll be staying inside from now on.
We went to a restaurant that we heard had incredible milkshakes. I am a very decisive person, and it was taking me FOREVER to pick something to eat! Matt was having the same problem. When our server came over, he asked if we had any questions. I said, "What is fakin' bacon, and why does chicken have quotations around it?!" He explained to us that everything on the menu was vegan or vegetarian, but not to be discouraged! It all tastes great, give it a chance, yadda yadda yadda. I was in the mood for a burger, not a cashew patty. So I ended up ordering a fried egg sandwich with gouda that was okay. The shakes were good, but I don't think we'll be going back there anytime soon.
THIS GUY was at the farmer's market last night! Oh my goodness. This was a moment where Matt & I just looked at each other and died laughing.
Check out the little girl in the hat watching them!
He was holding this girl's hands and touching her forehead, maybe he was transferring happy energy to her? I have no idea. It was too hilarious not to take a picture (or two) of. I don't even think he noticed! Dreadlocks, beard, no shirt, low-rise purple velour pants....oh dear. 
Also, driving in this town is BANANAS. There are so many pedestrians and cyclists that you have to be on the constant lookout for them, they really sneak up on you! I have had not one, not two, but THREE bums jump out in front of my car. Thanks for the heart attack guys. Not only do you have to worry about these hazards, but the roads themselves are insane! I remembered that from coming up here on Spring Break when I had my permit. My mom had me drive! haha There are one-way roads, unexplainable forks, blind hills you come up and have to sharply turn to avoid hitting a telephone pole, an intersection you come through and suddenly face oncoming traffic while the road shifts to the right...I could go on and on! Needless to say, I drive VERY slowly and cautiously around this town. 

1 comment:

Baker Family said...

Welcome to Santa Cruz!!!! You will come to find this strange stuff "normal" after a while. As for burgers...you MUST go to Betty's burgers (one in Santa Cruz off Seabright and one on 41st)...and they have amazing milkshakes. You will thank me :)

All images & content on this site © Kara Miller 2008-2013 unless otherwise noted. Do not use any content without permission or giving credit. Thank you!