Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Journal

My friend Emily has this quote from President Hinckley on her blog:

"To you women of today, who are old or young, may I suggest to you that you write, that you keep journals, that you express your thoughts on paper. Writing is a great discipline. It is a tremendous education effort. It will assist you in various ways, and you will bless the lives of many--now and in the years to come, as you put on paper some of your experiences and some of your musings."
- President Gordon B. Hinckley

I've been thinking about this blog a lot. I have been putting much more time and energy into Kara in the Kitchen and am loving the direction it is going. What I am feeling for this blog is that it will be a place for me to journal my thoughts and experiences, and chronicle the life of my family.

I am one who tries to be positive most of the time. Especially online, I feel like there is so much negativity out there that it is especially important to uplift and not be a Debbie Downer. There is definitely a balance though. I realize that on the other hand, there is the tendency to post only the pretty things online. To make your life appear perfect. Then the comparing comes in and you feel like a failure as a mother after looking at blogs of moms who are way more crafty/skinny/organized and whose kids dress way better and never have meltdowns or go to time out.
I think she was so mad because the linoleum in our kitchen made her that way. 

So, while I am a bit scared to share some things, I know that it may help someone. I also know that it will be a blessing to my children to read in the future. I will try my best to share in a way that is uplifting and informative, because the last thing I want is for people to come here and feel like they're being dumped on! I want to be more REAL though; not that I've been fake in the past...but I have censored myself for fear of judgement. Does that make sense? I just don't want to blog anymore and think, "What will so-and-so think if they read this?" I just want to be myself.
Life is messy!
The end :)


6 comments:

kristen'n'thecrew said...

I love that you're thinking about this. I grew up in the same church that you did, and as an adult who is inactive, I have these ideals of what LDS moms should be. The impression I had as a kid was that all the relief society women were friends, people were so friendLY, having a close-knit ward, everyone being so organized and almost-perfect.
I have such high standards for myself... unrealistic standards, really. So much of my judgement of myself probably comes from misconceptions of other mom's lives. You are absolutely right, Kara-- LIFE IS MESSY! :)

Kara said...

I think we all have those unrealistic standards for ourselves! Which is why it can be so hard when we fall short. We are all in it together & need to help lift others up instead of perpetuate a perfection that doesn't exist in real life! If I were an outsider looking at my blog, I'd think I had a perfect life. So I'm going to try and be real. Thanks for understanding Kristen! :)

Allison and Mason: said...

I enjoy real life stories and pictures too. It helps me, just like you said. I think other moms need to hear it being we are always feeling subpar and comparing ourselves. I keep my blog real, but try to do it in a positive way because when my daughter has a kid that won't stop screaming I want her to know that I've been there and done that and you survive. :) I love the way you write. It cracks me up.

MoNiCa! said...

I totally understand and also have been thinking about this topic as well. Living in Utah I see a lot of these "perfect moms" And the truth is everybody has their trials and bad days. I know they are not perfect. Being positive is good and being "REAL" is healthy! Good job!

Kara said...

Thanks Allison :) I love that you know where I'm coming from having lived with me! I always wish people could hear my voice/tone when I write things. Some things just need to be said in a certain way!

I love that Monica! Being positive is good and being real is healthy. New mantra!!

Brenda said...

I absolutely love this post! Thank you so much for opening up and sharing! I read this blog on a night when my daughter would not fall asleep or let me put her down because she had gas from all the Halloween candy I have been eating, my dog has decided that our new planter, sans plants, is her race track and has proceeded to decorate my house with muddy footprints before I could catch her and wipe her feet off (she is really really fast), and my husband just got called in to the office on a patient emergency so I am solo with all of this right now! I hate to be a Debbie Downer as well and only put the "nice stuff" on my blog, but I might heed your advice and include some real life stuff....darn, should have taken pictures of those muddy footprints all over my carpet and couch before I cleaned them up hahaha! It really helps to know that my sometimes hectic home life may not be as uncommon as it sometimes feels! Thanks again Kara for all the inspiration you have given me, first through your food blog and now your own personal one! PS....I love those two pictures of your girls! Classic!

All images & content on this site © Kara Miller 2008-2013 unless otherwise noted. Do not use any content without permission or giving credit. Thank you!